Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Hello all! Happy 4th of July! We miss you all and wish we could be there to celebrate. In particular we wish we could be on the farm (Caleb's family) to shoot off fireworks and eat homemade ice cream! The Peace Corps is having a celebration tomorrow in Moldova for the 4th, but we are skipping it to spend some time together. I am going to go to Caleb's village tomorrow and will stay until Sunday. Things are well. Just really busy with language learning and learning how to teach classes. Today I taught my first trial class to my classmates on environmental awareness and littering. The next class I will teach will be in Romanian! I am really nervous, the language is coming, but it is soo much to learn in only 10 weeks!
I am still enjoying my host family and feel more and more at home here each week. Just like Caleb said, they treat me as if I am their daughter! The food is good! I am going to talk a little bit about the food (my dad made a special request)...On a normal day for breakfast I eat terchi, which is kind of like an oatmeal/wheat mix with milk. They serve french bread with every meal and lots of butter. For lunch I might eat soup with veggies and either chicken or pork. For dinner it might be potatoes and a salad made of cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion or it might be rice with chicken. I have eaten hot dogs here, pasta with butter and sugar (for breakfast!), cheese...everything is very fresh. Most of the families here raise their own chickens, rabbits, and turkeys! They don't eat a lot of spicy foods here. There are several magazines (small stores, kind of like gas station market) and they have ice cream and candy bars. They have lays potato chips here, which I think are not as greasy and really tasty. If you have any questions, ask away!
Miss you all,
B

1 comment:

Teal said...

I LOVE MY SISSY and MY BRO in LAW!

Thanks for describing your daily food intake. It is rather fascinating. Overall, it sounds like it is pretty healthy and natural - which is so good for you. If there is any food your craving let me know and I'll put in in your care package. Hopefully the bottles will come in soon so I can get it out to you this week.

Kisses and Hugs,
Teal